Friday, August 28, 2009

This is called a smitten, or at least that is what the person who entered it at the fair called her project.

Well... I'm definitely smitten with the smitten. And yes, that is my hand (above) modeling the smitten. The cool thing about very small-town county fairs is that everything is just out there for you to pick up and feel of and in my case, try on. No one was guarding or watching out for thieves like they do in bigger venues like regional fairs or state fairs where everything is protected behind glass or being carefully watched by volunteers. This is exactly how I found all the knit/crochet projects, carefully placed on shelves with purple (grand prize), blue (first place), red (second place) or white (third place) ribbons and a tag with the name of the person who entered it.
I've already found instructions on how to make these things. And if you want to click on the YouTube link, here it is, except on YouTube they are called fingerless mittens. Whatever. Smitten is a much better name. These are going to be easy, but after doing some searching, I've found you can knit very intricate lacy fingerless gloves that include fingerless thumb gussets. Naturally, they have much more complicated patterns, which call for things like front and back purl stitches. The good news is, I found YouTube has all kinds of instructional videos on how to do these complicated stitches. For now I think I will just start out with the beginner pattern.

Courtrooms are notoriously cold, cold, cold. Morgue cold. And when my fingers get cold, I find it hard to work. I'm hoping these smittens will provide me some rad relief.


  • Jessie Nell and I are ready to get started. Her job is to give her approval of my yarn choice then to bat it around until she wears herself out then curl up beside me and purr. AWWW!
Check out the tiny quilting stitches.
  • I am posting this picture especially for Marleen (Stitching by the Lake). I could not believe this quilt did not get a grand prize ribbon. You can not believe the tiny, tiny, tiny stitches of quilting on this thing. And just look how cute. I wonder what lucky child gets this for a present?

  • This picture of Tiny Town's county fair/carnival has nothing to do with knitting, but it does impress upon me that OUR regional and county fairs are coming late next month. If I want to enter anything, I better get started. Dwain's already got some of his canned food entries ready. He says he's also going to enter a hat he's planning to make. Hum...