Thursday, August 27, 2009



A knitting class. That's what I need. Otherwise I'm going to knit only socks for the rest of my life. Not that there is anything wrong with knitting socks. I mean, they are warm and functional and pulled together with mad and silly colors. The fact that I learned to knit socks at all is pretty amazing, in and of itself. But now that I've mastered socks 101, I want to learn to knit a really pretty shawl or a baby sweater. And believe me, some of the finished patterns I've seen are worn by the red carpet types. They are not your grandma's woolly-woolly stuff. They are gorgeous and lacy and lovely.

I want to take real knitting classes. And I want the classes to be cozy and warm and understanding toward people like me who do not understand things like knitting markers and row counters and circular needles and blocking pins and and stitch holders. Or abbreviations like P3 tog, (K,P,K) or K1, PSSO. And what in the world is strand knitting or twisted stitches? And I want the classes to be available when I can come -- which is ususally never with my crazy schedule.

You have no idea how long it took me to figure out what a basic garter stitch was.

The thing is, I really, really want to knit. So I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a little booklet called, I Can't Believe I'm Knitting. The problem is, just like with every other knitting book I've found, following a pattern means having to constantly find the page with all the abbreviations and their meanings; symbols and terms and their meanings. Back and forth. Back and forth.

Well, I guess if all else fails and I can't find any warm fuzzy knitting classes that fit my wierd work schedule (if any exist in the first place, around here in our little bitty town), there is always You Tube. Or my mother-in-law who only knows how to do grandma woolly-woolly kniting, not that there is anything wrong with that. I mean, after all, she did give me an entire attic full of old knitting needles and yarn the likes of which you can not find in the stores anymore).

Until then, I guess I'll just start on another sock and watch a You Tube knitting video to get inspired to try something new. Sigh!